After heavy rains is nothing that is unheard of, water damage, from burst pipes, appliance failure, or even caved in rooftops. At least once in their homeowning careers, homeowners are likely to experience this devastating event. Potential mold growth is one of the biggest threats with water damage. To avoid mold growth on the carpets following water damage, we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to share steps today.
What Can I Use to Dry Wet Carpet?
Collect the following: Bleach, fans, and cleaners.
Flood dryers can accelerate the drying process after a home is flooded. For some people by irritating the nose, eyes throat or lung, prevent mold is the number one goal as over exposure can cause health problems. When breathing airborne mold, hay fever, asthma and allergies can be triggered. Follow the steps below and acting fast is the best solution.
How Do I Protect My Carpet After a Flood?
1) Remove the water as quickly as possible. Use a wet/dry vacuum to extract as much water as possible. These machines are the most effective tools available to the average consumer for removing water. You can usually rent them at a home improvement story if you do not own one. The job is done more effectively since professional responders have similar equipment that is more powerful.
2) Accelerate the drying process by strategically placing fans. It can take up to several days for the fans to do its work to completely dry a water-damaged area. The faster it will be with the more you have. To help your home circulate fresher air, fans should be used. The fans need to operate 24 hours a day for 5-7 days or even more. Home improvement stores with tool rental service often have high-power drying fans you can also rent.
3) If possible, place a dehumidifier to help expedite removing the moisture. As these machines are designed to remove excess moisture in the air and surfaces, the air feels cooler and limits mold and mildew growth. When you utilize any equipment that helps dry out the air and the ground, the drying time for your damaged floors and coverings are sped up.
4) Steam clean carpet and flooring. Depending on the exposure, water-damaged carpet padding might need to be replace. You can potentially spare yourself from replacing the carpets by steam cleaning all carpets to properly sanitize and deodorize. Especially when compared to re-carpeting the whole home, replace the carpet padding is usually affordable.
5) Sanitize all exposed walls and baseboards. Clean and sanitize anything that was in contact of the flooded water. Make certain all hard-surface floors walls, and other household surfaces with soap and water. You can go behind the cleaned surfaced and get them sanitized with a solution of 1.5 cups of chlorine bleach to one gallon of water and wearing gloves.
6) Evaluate the effected furniture. From the affected area, remove all furniture and have it inspected. If you suspect water damage as the residual water can be lingering under rugs and carpets and behind baseboards, make certain to give your home a thorough inspection.
Water Extraction, Structural Drying, Carpet Cleaning, Deodorizing & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
To ensure your home is properly dried, cleaned and sanitized, having a professional take care of the water damage is the most effective solution. No matter the extent, for efficient water removal and mold prevention, call Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning immediately after your home has been flooded.