Water damage from burst pipes, appliance failure, or even caved in rooftops after heavy rains is nothing that is unheard of. Homeowners are likely to experience this devastating event at least once in their home-owning careers. One of the biggest threats with water damage is the potential mold growth. Today, we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to share steps on how to avoid mold growth on the carpets following water damage.
How to Dry & Clean Wet Carpet After Water Damage
After a home is flooded, flood dryers can accelerate the drying process. Preventing mold is the number one goal as over exposure can cause health problems for some people by irritating the nose, eyes throat or lungs. Hay fever, asthma and allergies can also be triggered when breathing airborne mold. Acting fast is the best solution and follow the steps below.
1) As quickly as possible, remove the water. To extract as much water as possible, use a wet/dry vacuum. For removing water, these machines are the most effective tools available to the average consumer. If you do not own one, you can usually rent them at a home improvement story. Professional responders have similar equipment that is more powerful and can do the job more efficiently, however.
2) Strategically place fans to expedite the drying time. To completely dry a water-damaged area, it can take up to several days for the fans to do its work. The more you have the faster it will be. These fans also help your home circulate fresher air. Keep in mind you that the fans need to operate 24 hours a day for 5-7 days or even more. Home improvement stores with tool rental service often have high-power drying fans you can also rent.
3) If possible, use a dehumidifier to help dry out the moisture content. The air feels cooler and limits mold and mildew growth as these machines are designed to remove excess moisture in the air and surfaces. The drying time for your damaged floors and coverings are sped up when you utilize any equipment that helps dry out the air and the ground.
4) Carpet and flooring should be steamed cleaned. Water-damaged carpet padding might need to be replaced, depending on the exposure, but steam cleaning all carpets to properly sanitize and deodorize can potentially spare you from replacing them. Replacing the carpet padding is usually affordable, especially when compared to re-carpeting the whole home.
5) All exposed walls and baseboards need to be sanitized. Anything that was in contact of the flooded water should be cleaned and sanitized. With soap and water, be sure all hard-surface floors walls, and other household surfaces. With a solution of 1.5 cups of chlorine bleach to one gallon of water and wearing gloves, you can go behind the cleaned surfaced and get them sanitized.
6) Inspect the impacted furniture. Any furniture affected by flooded areas should be removed from the area and inspected. Be sure to give your home a thorough inspection if you suspect water damage as the residual water can be lingering under rugs and carpets and behind baseboards.
Water Extraction, Drying, Cleaning & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
Ultimately, having a professional take care of the water damage is the most effective solution to ensure your home is properly dried, cleaned and sanitized. Call Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning immediately after your home has been flooded, no matter the extent, for efficient water removal and mold prevention. Contact us today!