It is very well known in the coffee drinking community, that the morning cup, or two or three is a requirement before anything else gets done, including conversations. Coffee is the very lifeline and without that morning cup, life is unbearable. Having that cup of coffee is a ritual, a ceremony that must be performed. But what happens if you drop that cup of coffee while traversing your carpet? While your first reaction might be earth shattering sorrow, followed, by annoyance, frustration, and anger; or any variation of the emotional rollercoaster that is bound to happen. Today, we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to share how to get the coffee stain removed.
General Carpet Stain Removal Tips
For starters, take a deep breath, and find your happy place. There are a few things we feel important to mention including some tips on how to treat stains and what to avoid.
– Do not use hot water; it can influence the stain to set into the carpet.
– Blot the stains, do not rub or scrub; you will only push the coffee deeper in the fibers and spread the stain out further.
– Use white cloths, towels, and paper towels to blot with. Dyes and print has the potential to transfer onto the carpet when treating the stain.
– Always perform a patch test in an inconspicuous spot, whether it is a homemade remedy or a store bought cleaner.
– Treat stains as soon as possible, the longer it sits, the harder it is to remove.
How to Get Coffee Stains Out of Carpet
1) With white paper towels, pat the excess liquid with moderate pressure until the majority of the moisture has been absorbed. Blot the outer edges first and work your way towards the center to better prevent the stain from expanding.
2) Without over saturating the area, spray warm water on the blemish, or sponge it on. The idea is to rinse the coloring. Blot with a dry cloth in between water applications to avoid over saturation. If too much water soaks under the carpet it can cause water damage to the padding, sub floor and carpet, as well as create the right elements for mold to take place.
3) Mix together 1/4 tsp of mild dish detergent, or carpet shampoo, to a liter of warm water. Mix the solution well. For optimal application, use a spray bottle, but if in a pinch, any container will do.
4) Before applying your solution, be sure the area is well blotted.
5) Apply your cleanser to the area, if you need to sponge your mixture on the stain, use a white, clean cloth, or paper towel and sparingly apply the solution, again do not over saturate, damp is all you need. Blot the stain to loosen things up.
6) Apply the solution to an additional cloth and place the treated towel onto the stain. Using a spoon or blunt object, gently press the cloth onto the stain.
6) Rinse out the cleaning solution using the same method as diluting the coffee.
7) Always blot up the excess liquid in between treatments, but repeat until stain is removed.
8) Towel dry.
9) Once the area is as dry as you can make it, place a clean dry towel on the area and weight it down over night.
10) When the area is fully dry, vacuum.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
If you have any stubborn stains, including a coffee stain that simply won’t budge, contact Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning and let our talented experts do what we do best.