When it comes to treating the carpet stains in your home, there are many things to consider. Carpet type, stain origin, specific cleaners, and so on. When it comes time to cleaning the carpet stains, people find themselves attacking the stain instead of simply removing it. Some adopted carpet cleaning methods can make the stains more difficult to treat, cause permanent staining, or even damage the carpet in other ways. With that in mind, we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to address the mistakes people are commonly making when treating the stains on their carpets.
Carpet Cleaning & Stain Removal Mistakes to Avoid
1) Do not scrub at carpet stains. When emotions are influencing your actions; annoyance, frustration, and so on, the natural impulse is to take it out on the carpet by applying excessive pressure to scrub or rub out the stain with vigorous movement. It is optimal to avoid this impulse as when carpet stains get violent treatment; the stain just spreads out and gets pushed deeper into the fibers. Instead, always use blotting movements on the stains with mild to medium pressure.
2) Do not allow stains to set in whenever possible. We know sometimes a rogue stain shows up with no recollection or confession as to how it originated, but once a stain causing components drops on the carpet, it is ideal to tend to it immediately. Other times stains are not immediately treated are due to time restraints. But permitting stains to fester can make them difficult and sometimes impossible to remove. Always treat the spots and blemishes as soon as possible to avoid any serious consequences down the road.
3) Do not randomly treat the stain from any given point. You can better contain the stains in the localized area by working the outer perimeter of the blemish towards the center. It will help you avoid making bigger messes by doing so and make the stain far more manageable.
4) Do not use hot water for treating stains. Adding hot elements will set the stain in to many types of fabrics, including carpet, and it could be next to impossible to remove the stain. An exception to the rule is when you need to remove wax, and you place a hot iron over paper to draw the wax up, but still extreme temperatures are not recommended. If in doubt, stick with cool water.
5) Do not skip the patch test. Whether you use commercially formulated carpet cleaning products or home remedy mixtures, always perform a patch test of your cleaner in an inconspicuous area to ensure the fibers integrity or color is not compromised. Some chemicals can lighten the color of your carpet in unattractive ways, where others can simply break down the fibers and ruin the composition.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
If you have stubborn stains that are giving you a hard time, contact Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning and let our specialists take care of the stains that are blemishing your carpets appearance.