Laminate floors are widely being used to surface the flooring in many homes, with the many options in style it has to offer and the simplistic nature in maintenance as well as it being a cost efficient option. For those new to laminate flooring, taking care of it can leave you with many questions, which is why Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to take the opportunity to offer a laminate floor care guide to help you keep your floors looking their best for as long as possible. Before we get into maintenance, we would like to start with what to do and what to avoid when it comes to caring for your laminate floors.
Laminate Flooring Do’s and Don’ts
– There is no need to use waxes or polishes and laminate flooring is not true wood and does not need it.
– Products with chemical agents that claim to clean and shine need to be avoided.
– No not use any abrasive or bleach cleaners and keep away from using steel wool or scouring pad; they only cause damage.
– Laminate floors should not be washed with mops that use a lot of water like string or sponge mops.
– Never soak the microfiber pad for wet mopping your floor, merely dampen it.
– Moisture will cause damage and warping in a short amount of time, so prevent liquids from constant contact with the laminate floor.
Swiffer Dusting & Cleaning Spills on Laminate Floors
When selecting the right tool for every day removal of dust, dirt, and debris, opt for either a microfiber dust mop or a vacuum that can be set to hard surface cleaning so the beater doesn’t spin while in use. The microfiber mop is recommended as it features a swivel head that will glide easily over large areas and can go effortlessly go under and around furniture. Laminate flooring rarely needs washing if you diligently wipe up spills, but when they need spot removal or sanitizing, you either use a low cost, but effective DIY solution or stick with the manufacturer’s premade formulas.
Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner
Mix the following ingredients well in a squirt bottle; 1 part white vinegar, 3 parts water, and a small squirt of liquid dish detergent.
1) Completely remove the layers of dirt and debris with your choice of microfiber dust mop or a vacuum. Before switching on the vacuum ensure the beater is not operating during vacuuming as it can damage the surface. No matter if you decide on the dust mop or a vacuum, follow the direction that the floor is laid in as it collects all the dirt between the grooves instead of trapping it.
2) Directly on the microfiber pad, lightly dampen with warm water and mist you preferred cleaning formula.
3) Do use a grid-like pattern to ensure thoroughness and completely clear off the dirt, dust, and debris from the corners, sides, and center of the floor.
4) When the microfiber pad gets too dirty to effectively mop, simply rinse, replace, and reapply the cleaning solution.
5) If there is any remaining moisture after you finished mopping, immediately follow up with a dry towel and wipe the surface. Throw the microfiber pad into the washing machine after you have rinsed off the clumps once you are finished with the floor.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
When it comes to the professional care of your flooring, call Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning and let our trained experts do the rest.