Ketchup is a staple in most homes. With many people in the household using this common condiment on many main dishes and sides, the risk of it making contact with the carpets is especially high. Due to the likelihood of ketchup making a stain on your carpet, we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to take the opportunity to share a few options on how you can remove the ketchup from your carpeting.
Method 1 – Dishwashing Soap Solution to Remove Ketchup Stains
1) Begin by scraping off any remaining ketchup from the carpet fibers using knife to get ketchup out of carpet.
2) Mix 2 cups of cool water with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid.
3) Soak a white cloth in this solution and sponge it on to the stain.
4) Slowly absorb the liquid and the stain by blotting the ketchup stain.
5) Until the ketchup stain has disappeared, repeat the steps mentioned above.
6) To remove any cleaning solution residue, rinse the stain with cold water.
Method 2 – Laundry Detergent / Ammonia to Get Rid of Ketchup Stains
1) As soon as you discover the stain, be sure to remove the excess ketchup with a spoon and paper towels. If the area is dry and the stain is old, vacuum the general area. Be sure to only blot the moist ketchup, otherwise you run the risk of spreading out the stain and pushing it deeper in the fibers with rubbing and scrubbing techniques.
2) With a store-bought laundry pre-spray solution, spray the ketchup stain. Allow the solution to break up the stain for 15 to 20 minutes.
3) After 15 to 20 minutes has passed, be sure to rinse the affected area of the carpet with warm water.
4) If the stain is gone, be sure to expedite the drying with fans if possible, once dry, vacuum the areas well. If the stain persists, continue following the steps below to remove the stain.
5) In a spray bottle, combine 1 cup of ammonia with 4 cups warm. Be sure they are mixed well before use.
6) Using a toothbrush, begin scrubbing after a fair coverage of the solution is applied to the stain. Be careful not to over saturate, the spot should be damp. After scrubbing for 10 to 15 additional seconds, if you have the option, use a wet/dry vacuum and extract the solution. Other blot well until excess moisture is removed.
7) To rinse the ammonia solution, spray warm water over the affected area.
Don’t Let Ketchup Stains Get Old
Acting fast provides the best results when you treat ketchup on carpets. Ketchup stains quickly, so the sooner it is addressed, the better the outcome will be. In the event the ketchup stains are not successfully removed with these methods above, consider hiring a professional to effectively cut the stains from the carpet. With advanced equipment and premium products, professionals can beat nearly any stain.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
For your carpet cleaning needs in the Greater San Diego, California area, call the professionals of Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning and let us take care of the stubborn stains and deep cleaning needs of your carpet.