If you want your tile to look its best, then you’ll need to make sure the grout is clean. As time passes the grout will get dirty and have a negative effect on the overall look of your tile. The credit for this all goes to the accumulation of dirt. It’s recommended that you have your grout cleaned every 6 to 12 months to keep it looking its best. Dirty grout is unsightly and will make your tile look terrible. While the job seems easy, there are mistakes that can be made that will wreak havoc on your grout. Know what these mistakes are and do you can avoid them!
Tile & Grout Cleaning Tips
1. Make sure the company you hire performs a pre-inspection before any grout cleaning begins to find any chips, cracks and deformities in the tile, and grout.
2. Good grout cleaning practice begin with a good understanding of the floors history. This is the best way to come up with the best way to clean your grout.
3. To keep grout clean it’s a good idea to seal an impregnate it. Grout is porous and will absorb any liquid quite easily. So sealing it will prevent this from happening. Once it’s sealed it’s also much easier to keep clean going forward.
4. All layers should be stripped from the tile before grout is cleaned. Therefore, grout cleaning needs to be planned accordingly.
5. One cleaner isn’t good for all the types of tile and grout. Not only can this damage your tile and grout but will also make a bad impression.
6. Acidic products should never be used when cleaning grout or any natural stone. Tile made of natural materials contains calcium that can react strongly with acid in a bad way. It can damage you tile and grout and the beauty of it.
7. If you need to do the pre-inspection yourself then do it before any cleaning starts. You will be sure of all the problems before any work starts.
DIY Grout Cleaner
If you want to tackle the job yourself then keep the following tips in mind.
1. Dress accordingly- Wearing the right clothes is important. Solutions used to clean grout and tile are not harmful but wearing gloves will protect you skin from irritation.
2. Test first- Some cleaning products can affect the color of grout. The easiest way to avoid any problems is to test the cleaner in a hidden area before you start.
3. Make the solution- Wait until you’re ready to start before making the solution and tweak it if needed. ½ cup baking soda ¼, hydrogen peroxide and 1 tsp. dish soap mixed into paste.
4. Brush- The best way to clean grout is by using a soft nylon bristled brush or a toothbrush. Steer clear of hard bristled brushes that can damage or break the grout.
5. Post-scrubbing- Once you’ve finished cleaning the grout, use a mop to remove any residue. Use plain water and keep rinsing the mop to prevent spreading the residue around.
Tile & Grout Cleaning & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
Keep your tile and grout looking its best and hire Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning to clean it for you! Give us a call today to schedule and appointment.