Hardwood floors are a beautiful upgrade that is a timeless classic people will often turn to when wanting to surface the floors in something more sophisticated yet charming. But with hardwood floor, the care is a lot different than other flooring options. With that in mind, we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to offer some tips and advice for the overall care of your hardwood floors.
Hardwood Floor Cleaning Tips
1) Do Not Use Abrasive or Hard Cleaners on Hardwood Floors. Harsh chemicals, oil based and abrasive cleaners need to be avoided at all costs when it comes time to clean your hardwood floors. Damage and early deterioration will occur with excessive use of oil based soaps as they cause buildup over time. The finish on your hardwood floors will quickly diminish, leaving it vulnerable when abrasive cleaners are applied and any abrasive scrubbing implements should not be used as it will only cause damage. If spots on hardwood floors are proving to be a challenge to remove with a dry cloth, use a lightly dampened microfiber cloth to clear away the blemish and immediately dry. Water and moisture and hardwood floors do not play nice.
2) Avoid Direct Sunlight on Hardwood Floors. Hardwood floors will dry out with long term exposure to direct sunlight, resulting in unsightly cracks, gaps and the finish will fade. Use curtains, drapes, blinds, or UV window films on the windows that permit the direct sunlight to avoid the effects.
3) Avoid Dragging Furniture on Hardwood Floors. Furniture that drags or slides will scratch and tarnish the hardwood floors. If furniture needs to be moved, lift and carry to the destination and for added protection and preventative care, install felt strips on the bottom of your furniture’s legs for accidental slipping and sliding.
4) Hardwood Floor Cleaning. For the overall care and appearance of your hardwood floors, daily cleaning is crucial. Hardwood floors can be vacuumed, swept, or dust mopped to keep the dust, dirt, and debris off the floor that causes scuffs and scratches as well as early deterioration of the finish; no matter your preference.
– Dust Mops Clean Hardwood Floors. Dust mops are more ideal with their gentle but extremely effective use of removing the filth. The quality dust mop is important however. A dust mop with 12”-18” cotton head and treated with a special dust application is highly recommended. Be sure to follow the label’s instructions; generally use requires you to spray the mop head 12 to 24 hours before dust mopping.
– Sweeping Hardwood Floors. If you the broom is your weapon of choice be sure the bristles are soft and fine that feature exploded ends, this style broom is more efficient at trapping the dirt, dust, and debris. You will get the maximum level of clean without inflicting damage from stiff bristled brooms.
– Vacuum Hardwood Floors. Vacuuming hardwood floors easily remove the dust, dirt and debris that fall on hardwood floors. Before using the vacuum however, it is crucial you switch it to the bare floor setting. Otherwise, the vacuum brush rotates producing scuffs and scratches. Utilize the hose to completely remove the filth along corners and edges.
– Clean Up Spills. Liquid spills need to be cleaned up and dried immediately. Moisture on hardwood floors needs to be avoided at all costs as it will cause the wood to warp and crack, even with minimal contact and exposure. Additionally, the moisture will absorb into the porous areas and gaps that will create water damage and the right conditions for mold. All accidental spills, no matter what the element (food, beverage, chemicals, etc.) should be immediately wiped clean and completely dried.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
For professional maintenance as needed, contact Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning and let our experts get your hardwood floors vibrant and beautiful!