When it comes to carpet you can’t just rely on regular carpet cleaning to keep it in tip top shape. Additional care on your part needs to be done. This will do a lot to extend the life of the carpet and will keep it looking its best for a long time.
Carpet Cleaning Care Tips
• If you don’t have carpet stain remover on hand you can quickly make your own by mixing ¼ teaspoon liquid detergent that doesn’t have bleach in it and a cup of cold water.
• The stain-resistancy of your carpet doesn’t last forever and will wear down. It’s important to have it applied on a regular basis for optimum performance.
• Also, stain-resistant does not equal stain-proof. You need to work on spots and spills as soon as possible to prevent permanent damage.
• Don’t forget your furniture when you have your carpets cleaned. They collect everyday dirt and soil too.
• Regular vacuuming is important. Make sure it’s done thoroughly because most of the wear and tear of carpeting is due to dirt accumulation. Oily soils attract more oily soil and regular vacuuming will decrease soil buildup.
• If you can get to a stain within the first few days 99% of them can be removed by using just one cleaning product. Stains that sit for too long will have a chemical reaction with the carpet fiber and can be impossible to remove.
• All carpets are different and it’s important to spot test before you start scrubbing, extracting or spotting. Some carpets are sensitive to cleaners with acid in them and can lose their color.
• Always start with a mild cleaner. Don’t use cleaners that are harsh unless all else has failed.
• Do not dig or brush spots. Always work on a spot by scraping from the outside inward and use a clean white towel or cloth.
• If you use too much detergent, shampoo or stain removers you run the risk of too much residue left on the carpet that vacuuming can’t remove. The carpet will attract more dirt.
• It’s important to make sure you don’t let your carpet get too wet. Carpet that is too wet can shrink, have adhesion issues and other kinds of problems.
• Extraction is very important. Professional cleaners do the best job at making sure all the dirt and water is extracted from deep in the carpet.
• If after you have scrubbed a spot out of your carpet you’re still not happy, don’t apply a coat of carpet protector. All this does is “glue in the dirt” and will only make it harder to remove the next time. You will have to re-scrub or leave the spot till the next cleaning.
Benefits of Regular Vacuuming
It’s important to mention vacuuming again. Regular vacuuming between professional cleanings is crucial to carpet care. Heavy traffic areas need to be vacuumed two to three times a week and the rest of the carpet should be vacuumed once a week. Mats placed at each entrance to the home will help reduce the amount of dirt that gets tracked into the house so clean them every once and a while to keep them effective.
Carpet Cleaning & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
Everyday living takes a toll on your carpet. The best way to keep it looking its best is to take care of it and to call Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning for professional carpet cleaning. Give us a call today!