Burst pipes, appliance failure, or even caved in rooftops after heavy rains, among other scenarios, can lead to water damage. At least once in their homeowning careers, homeowners are likely to experience this devastating event. The potential mold growth is one of the biggest threats with water damage. To avoid mold growth on the carpets we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to share steps take after any kind water damage incident today.
What Should I Do Immediately After Wet Carpet & Water Damage?
Collect the Following Supplies: Bleach, cleaners, and any available fans.
Flood dryers can accelerate the drying process after a home is flooded. Over exposure to mold can cause health problems for some people and manifest by irritating the nose, eyes throat or lungs, so preventing mold is the number one goal. When breathing airborne mold, hay fever, asthma and allergies can also be triggered. The best solution is acting quickly and follow the steps below.
1) Eliminate the water as fast as possible. If you do this without professional assistance, use a wet/dry vacuum to extract as much water as possible. These machines are the most effective tools available to the average consumer for removing water. You can usually rent them at a home improvement story if you do not own one. Do note, professional responders have similar equipment that is more powerful and can do the job more efficiently.
2) To expedite the drying time, strategically place fans. It can take up to several days for the fans to do its work to completely dry a water-damaged area. The faster it will dry with the more you have. These fans also help your home circulate fresher air. To better circulate fresher air through your home, these fans help. These fans need to operate 24 hours a day for 5-7 days or even more. Also, home improvement stores with tool rental service often have high-power drying fans you can also rent.
3) Use a dehumidifier, if possible, to help dry out the moisture content. These machines are designed remove excess moisture in the air and surfaces while cooling the air and limiting the development of mold and mildew growth. When you utilize any equipment that helps dry out the air and the ground, the drying time for your damaged floors and coverings are sped up.
4) Steam clean carpet and flooring. Depending on the exposure, water-damaged carpet padding might need to be replaced. However, steam cleaning all carpets to properly sanitize and deodorize can potentially spare you from replacing them. Especially when compared to re-carpeting the whole home replacing the carpet padding is usually affordable.
5) Sanitize all exposed walls and baseboards. You need to clean and sanitize anything that was in contact of the flooded water. Make sure all hard-surface floors walls, and other household surfaces with soap and water. You can go behind the cleaned surfaced and get them sanitized with a solution of 1.5 cups of chlorine bleach to one gallon of water and wearing gloves.
6) Inspect any furniture impacted by the water damage. Inspect any furniture after is removed by the flooded areas. If you suspect water damage as the residual water can be lingering under rugs and carpets and behind baseboards, be sure to give your home a thorough inspection.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas & Chula Vista, California
Most effective solution to ensure your home is properly dried, cleaned and sanitized is having a professional take care of the water damage, ultimately. No matter the extent, after your home has been flooded, for efficient water removal and mold prevention, call Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning.