For people who have never been exposed to hardwood floors, providing the regular care, maintenance, and preventative applications, the overall condition, longevity, and aesthetics can be a bit overwhelming to take it all in. When you are first charged with caring for solid hardwood flooring, there are some primary basics you should know and we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to discuss the subject further today.
Prefinished or Unfinished Hardwood Floor?
If you are looking for new installation, solid hardwood floor is available unfinished or factory finished which is designed to be thicker and more durable. Factory finishes minimize the install work as it comes pre-sanded and finished. The unfinished wood requires the sanding and finishing after it is installed but it is a more optimal option for those wanting to implement custom designs. From installation to sanding and finishing, there is a process. Solid hardwood flooring is more costly than the other alternatives and it offers more durability and longevity it offers it is well worth the investment.
How Do You Maintain Hardwood Floors?
1) Clear away the surface dust and debris though implementing a dust mop, sweeping with a soft bristled broom, or a vacuum that features a “bare floor” or “hardwood floor” setting. Best done daily, you need to keep the dust and dirt from scuffing the floors as you are walking. Combined with everyday walking creates friction, the dirt on the floors causes scratches and scuffs in the wood, which deteriorates the finish.
2) By making sure the windows are covered with blinds, UV film, or curtains avoid the UV rays from hitting the floors during the hours of direct sunlight. When the sun shines directly on the wood it dries it out and fades the color.
3) Ideal for entry points and areas where there is a lot of foot traffic, area rugs and runners offer the hardwood floor more protection from potential particulates that can contribute to blemishes or damage.
How Do I Keep My Hardwood Floors Shiny & Clean?
Preserve the condition of your hardwood floors with these recommendations:
1) Being capable of easily scratching the floor, dirt and mud can be tracked in by your pet as their nails. To reduce the negative impact, keep your pet’s nails trimmed and their paws cleaned.
2) Make certain to use humidifiers can maintain the humidity balance to avoid shrinkage and maintain humidity levels at between 35% and 55%.
3) Immediately wipe up spills with a clean, dry microfiber cloth. Water damage or warping can be caused from the moisture can leave behind water on the surface can seep into the gap.
4) Avoid walking in abrasive shoes like high heel shoes, and spike shoes on wood floors.
5) Stay away from using water or cleaners to clean the floor and implement plain water and immediately dry up the water residue in the event stains or spots occur.
6) Only use cleaning aids and treatments that are specifically formulated for your hardwood floor.
7) Never use abrasive cleaning tools such as scouring pads, steel wool pads, or anything containing metal.
8) Though they all require similar maintenance, note that laminated wood, engineered, and solid hardwood also have specific needs.
Hardwood Flooring Cleaning, Installation, Refinishing & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
To help you deep a href=”http://www.steammagiccarpetcleaning.com/our-services/hardwood-floor-sanding-refinishing-staining-maintenance-service/”>clean your hardwood floors and ensure it is safely and efficiently cleaned, call in the professionals of Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning.