It is not unheard of for water damage to occur after a burst pipe, appliance failure, or even caved in rooftops after heavy rains. At least once in their homeowning careers, homeowners are likely to experience this devastating event. The potential mold growth is one of the biggest threats with water damage. Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to share tips on how to avoid mold growth on carpets following water damage.
How Do You Prevent Mold from Growing After Water Damage?
Flood dryers can accelerate the drying process after a home is flooded. For some people, mold exposure develops with irritating the nose, eyes throat or lungs, so mold prevention is the primary goal. When breathing airborne mold, hay fever, asthma and allergies can also be triggered.
1) Remove standing water promptly. Use a wet/dry vacuum to extract as much water as possible. The most effective tools available to the average consumer, these machines remove water. You can usually rent them at a home improvement story if you do not own one. The job can be done more efficiently by professional responders have similar equipment that is more powerful.
2) To expedite the drying time, strategically place fans. It can take up to several days for the fans to do its work to completely dry a water-damaged area, the faster you need to be. Your home circulates fresher air with these fans. For 24 hours a day for 5-7 days or even more, you need to operate the fans. Usually with high-power drying fans you can also rent as well as other tool rentals are available at home improvement stores.
3) If available, use a dehumidifier to help dry out the moisture content. To remove excess moisture in the air and surfaces, the air feels cooler and limits mold and mildew growth as these machines are designed. When you utilize any equipment that helps dry out the air and the ground, the drying time for your damaged floors and coverings are sped up
4) Carpet and flooring needs a steam cleaning. Depending on the exposure, water-damaged carpet padding might need to be replaced, since steam cleaning all carpets to properly sanitize and deodorize can potentially spare you from replacing them. Especially when compared to re-carpeting the whole home replacing the carpet padding is usually affordable.
5) All exposed walls and baseboards need to be sanitized. You need to clean and sanitize anything that was in contact of the flooded water. Make certain all hard-surface floors walls, and other household surfaces with soap and water. You can go behind the cleaned surfaced and get them sanitized with a solution of 1.5 cups of chlorine bleach to one gallon of water and wearing gloves.
6) Assess the furniture. From the area, furniture affected by flooded areas removed and inspected. If you suspect water damage as the residual water can be lingering under rugs and carpets and behind baseboards, make certain to give your home a thorough inspection.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain & Spot Removal, Water Damage Restoration in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Chula Vista California
To ensure your home is properly dried, cleaned and sanitized, having a professional take care of the water damage is the most effective solution, ultimately. No matter the extent, call Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning immediately after your home has been flooded for efficient water removal and mold prevention.