Carpets will inevitability be besmirched with accidental spills or accidents, no matter if they are from substances or pet accidents. Though some are more effective and also be more detrimental, the various chemicals used in cleaning spills have different reactions to the various carpet fibers. It is critical that you follow instructions on the label of commercial premade carpet cleaners, no matter what you use to treat spots, you first perform a patch test. Today, we at Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning would like to share a few common mistakes to help you avoid them.
What Should You Not Do with Carpet Stains?
1) Using aggressive scrubbing and rubbing tactics to treat stains. Since it only pushes the substance out further and deeper into the fibers, it is essential you do not attack them with scrubbing and rubbing techniques, as you make the spill even more difficult to remove when it comes to addressing the spills. Use blotting and patting methods starting on the outer edge and work your way to the center instead to better contain the mess.
2) Not eliminating the chunks first. You will just smear the chunks further into your carpet if you do not first remove the chunks and bulk. To scrape the globs off the surface instead, use a spoon, butter knife, spatula, or some kind of dull-edged tool. With care to scoop the bulk, be cautious as to not smash the substance into the carpet or cut the fibers. Use a few paper towels to wipe the blobs as you go to make the process more efficient.
3) Skipping patch tests. As mentioned, patch tests are an important step when you address spills and accidents. There may be some discoloration, fading, or even damage can occur as different fibers react with different chemicals. Be sure the solution does not ruin the carpet in plain sight by taking the time to do a patch test in an inconspicuous area.
4) Using hot-hot water. For treating different substance, various temperatures will contribute to effectively remove the stains. Generally, the temperatures range from cool to warm and only in rare instance should hot-hot water be used. Using hot-hot water will increase the risk of causing the substance to set into the carpet as it usually makes the stains set in. If you are ever in doubt, cool water should be used.
5) Treating stains with implements that have print or are dyed. Few want to risk their white cloths or towels when comes to treating red wine or purple Kool-Aid spill for example. During the treatment process, however, using implements that have dyes or prints can be transferred onto the carpet, resulting in a bigger trouble situation.
6) Not cleaning up spills/ accidents promptly. When accidental messes are left untreated, the longer they sit, the more time they have to absorb into the fibers, causing them to be more difficult to remove and potentially stain. Treat spills immediately to optimize success.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in San Diego, Solana Beach, La Mesa, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas & Chula Vista, California
Call Steam Magic Carpet Cleaning when your San Diego, CA carpet needs cleaning. Since treating stains can be a challenge and to ensure maximum effectiveness, you need our expert technicians using quality products and equipment to lift stains, soil, and odor.